Tuesday, January 10, 2012

This year...

...will be better than last year.
Even though I've already strained my IT band...and have a 1/2 marathon coming up.
Even though Willie's bank card # was stolen, AND used...
Even though Nate was shot in the head with an airsoft gun.  
Even though my load at work is a lot heavier this semester. 
Even though I got very very lost in Ft. Worth, with two kids, with no phone. 
Even though our roof has a leak...and it rained, and rained, and rained yesterday.
AND it's only January 10th!

All of the troubles and burdens make me think of one of my favorite poems:

God has not promised skies always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways all our lives through;
God has not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.

But God has promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love.

God has not promised we shall not know

Toil and temptation, trouble and woe;

He has not told us we shall not bear

Many a burden, many a care.

God has not promised smooth roads and wide,

Swift, easy travel, needing no guide;

Never a mountain, rocky and steep,

Never a river, turbid and deep.

But God has promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love.

Perspective: Things could be so much worse, and really God's blessings are surrounding me! Legs to walk on, money in the bank, healthy kids, a roof over my head, a job...And really, I know others are carrying much heavier burdens.
 
 "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him." James 1:12